Our plants from Fedco are being delivered some time today! And, I still have to dig the beds for the 25 asparagus plants. I started the other day, by turning over the soil behind the house, and getting rid of any weeds there. Saturday I dug a trench, and then put some compost in the trench. It still needs more compost! I also got rid of a no longer used drainage area filled with small stones and dirt–I moved the stones and dirt to under our water spigot.
My understanding is that for asparagus crowns, you make a mound in the middle of the trench, and then position the roots around it, each crown about a foot apart, and cover with a couple inches of soil, gradually filling the trench as the small plants grow, keeping a couple inches of shoot exposed. This particular bed has room for about 12 of the plants–so today I will try to dig another bed near the garage.
I am feeling a little bit panicked and excited about all the plants to plant: along with 25 asparagus crowns, there will be an apple tree, a peach tree, two blueberry bushes, three hazelnut bushes, (those garden beds have been ready since last summer). Also a mulberry tree which we hope to put further back in our yard. Also a licorice plant, and 3 golden seal plants which will go into pots until frost danger is past. Our friend said we could put them in her greenhouse for a few weeks.
So, not much time to write, but I wanted to make a log of the garden’s progress. Now out to dig for a while before going to the office.